Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Roadblock

I have an ever growing stash of leftover yarn. After each project I complete, I have quite a bit of left over yarn. I hate to admit it, but I think my mom passed some of her hoarding habit down to me. Even if it is just a small bit of yarn, I can't bring myself to dispose of it.

I recently vowed to not purchase any new yarn until my stash runs dry, but its proving to be more difficult than I thought it would be. I tried knitting amigurumi (I made the hubby the cutest little turtle), but they don't take  much yarn, so I'd have to knit a whole army of those guys before I ran out. So I set out for bigger projects.

I picked up an elephant pattern for my mom. Yes, my fifty something mom, requested I knit her an elephant. If you knew her, you'd understand. I thought that I had just enough left over yarn to complete it, but, as luck would have it, I ran out of yarn just before I started the ears. So I have an ear-less elephant. I decided to put that down until I come across some yarn that would make acceptable ears.

For my next project, I chose a scarf. Simple, and a quick knit because I would be using chunky yarn. Chunky yarn knits up easy, and fast. Halfway through my scarf, I ran out of yarn. A little frustrated, I ripped the whole thing and scoured Ravelry for a pattern that would accommodate the type of yarn I wanted to use and its yardage. I found a cool hat and cast on. Just as I was finishing up the very top of it, I ran out of yarn. By this point I wanted to throw down my yarn and scream, "Come on!" I ripped the hat.

 So here I am, with a box full of yarn, taunting me. Maybe I'll just start making washcloths and potholders. Anyone need a potholder? I'll personalize it with your initials.

No comments:

Post a Comment