Saturday, May 21, 2011

Needle Depression

Last week I picked up a new project Coachella, I was pretty excited because it looked pretty cute and the pattern was fairly easy. Four days later, I completed it and tried it on. To my disappointment, it was too short, something that could easily be remedied had it not also been extremely wide. I talking about gaining about 20 lbs and 2 or 3 cup sizes to fit into this. I may be over exaggerating, but it was really big. So, I decided to frog it and start all over. Enter my dilemma. The pattern calls for two different sized needles. I finished using the larger set, but to restart it, I needed the smaller set. Not a problem except... where the heck did I put that smaller set??????? If only I hadn't been sick this past week maybe my mind would be clearer and I could actually remember what I did with them! I have torn up my house searching for them, all in vain. So I am left here in my sad little bubble complaining about it on my blog, because, at this moment, that is all I can do.

If I were to read a blog post like this a year ago, I would have thought the writer was nuts. What's the big deal with knitting (or crochet) needles? They are replaceable right?

Okay, YES, I can go to the store and buy a new set, but I am very particular with the type of needles I use. I despise plastic or aluminum needles, while they are extremely cheap to buy, they hurt my hands too much and I don't like the way my yarn feels on them. My preference is bamboo, since its cheap compared to other materials that can be found in nature. While Michael's carries bamboo needles, its selection is small. I often find myself driving a good thirty minutes away to a yarn store that carries an abundance of needles.

On top of that, my hobby is something that I really enjoy, so my tools are very important to me. Imagine if you are a big video game player and you lost a controller? Or if you loved to bake and you lost your favorite cookie sheet that always bakes your cookies to perfection?

I have tried using the yarn to make other things with other needles, but I am just not into it. In my head, that yarn already had something it was supposed to become, so for it to be used for anything else just doesn't sit right with me. I guess my only choice is to ditch my daughter at dance (don't worry, she won't miss me) and head out to buy a new set. Maybe I'll even get yarn. That might make me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment